Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cloth Diapers


Right now our dryer is broken, meaning, it just spins and blows regular air. Its kind of odd to me, that air outside dries your clothes, but yet the dryer can tumble all day and night and they don't seem to ever dry. I have hung up clotheslines all over the laundry room for the laundry to soak up that nice stale smell and turn so rock hard it could cut your skin. Our normally "cool" Landlord has been really slow and shifty about replacing or fixing it, and we plan on mailing him, in lieu of a rent check, a little friendly letter this month! But my point: all this hangin' stuff up on the line has got me really sad for cloth diapers again.

It was around this time last year when I spent $130 dollars on 13 cloth diapers and covers for then 3-month old baby Charlie. He only nursed back then, no food, and so the poo was not very gross at all, and cloth diapering was a snap, a breeze, and something I loved doing. The diapers were so cute, we had yellow, blue, pink and green (A mixed lot bought off of Ebay) and they would come out so fluffy and soft and he never got rashes. I love cloth diapers, and we used them full-time for Mickey, mostly full-time for Casey, and only somewhat for Charlie. They are too small for him now, of course, and a pain in the butt---but not for the reasons you might think. It is not gross, it is not difficult. But what it does do is take up your washing machine, alot! Example: I try to do the wash all day long. as much as I can possibly remember to, in between lessons and spills and meals, as much as I can possibly sneak away for 5+ minutes for, I am changing the loads. I take clothing from the dirty-mountain and put them into the washer. I put the washer clothes into the dryer. I put the dryer clothes onto the floor. then at night, we takes great scoops of clean clothes and fold fold fold them on the table or couch or wherever. Repeat times infinity. BUT WAIT! When you are using cloth diapers, when and how do you wash those? Unless you can afford to have ALOT of cloth, which I did when Mickey was about 1 due to tons of hand me downs from my old neighbor J, you have to be really careful you don't "run out"! EXAMPLE: Say you have 13 diapers. Okay. Baby uses them and at the end of the day you might have, say, 6 or more dirty diapers in the pail or the pile or what have you. If you just wait another day to wash, then you will have a bigger load, justifying the water, sopa, and TIME YOUR WASHER IS BEING USED FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN CLOTHES! YIKES! But, if you wash them right then, a small load of six, then it might seem like you are on track. BUT, hear me out, cause this is where I ran into trouble: So you have six in the washer, one on the baby, and five in the clean pile. Then you have to hang-dry the covers. So in the meantime baby has 2 more dirty dipes. there is One clean, three dirty, six wet and clean....it is day two! You NEVER have 13 clean in a little fluffy pile ever again! And when you go somehwere, you put the dirty thing in a plastic bag in your car--and if you leave it in there on accident, then it might be ruined, due to the ammonia (pee) destroying the fibers. So you lose a few. And again, when do you wash your regular clothes? Well, I need two washers. I have seen it on TV, it isnt a big deal. Some friends have cautioned me that two washers would overload the wash-basin, but I wonder if that is true. So maybe we will use cloth and maybe we won't. But I really really want to make it work!

No comments: